Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why do I have to pay Association Fees and what do they cover? 
A. When you purchased your home you agreed to be a part of a homeowners Association.  All owners are required to pay Association Fees in accordance with the governing documents of the Association. The fees are due annually. They fund the operation and maintenance of the common property and are used to provide services for the benefit of all owners.  An example of what your Association Fees are used for are common area landscape maintenance, repair and maintenance of nature trails, insurance for the Association, and they provide for capital improvements desired by the Association. 
Q. What does the Association do? 
A. The Association is a nonprofit corporation managed by a Board of Directors.  During the development phase of the Association the Board is made up of the development company.  Once the developer is ready to transition the Association to the homeowners an election will take place and homeowners will be voted in to serve on the Board of Directors.  The Board is responsible for the oversight of the Association's funds, the enforcement of the deed restrictions, collection of assessments and the maintenance of common area property. 

Q. What does the management company do and what is their authority? 
A. The management company is contracted by the Board of Directors to handle the day to day operations of the Association and to provide guidance to the Board.  The Board of Directors make the final decisions regarding the Association and the management company is tasked with implementing the Board's decisions and/or instructions. 

Q. What are the Governing Documents? 
A. The "Governing Documents" for your association are the Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions plus any Rules and Regulations, Resolutions or guidelines that have been established by your Association Board. 

Q. Where can I get a copy of the Governing Documents? 
A. You should have received a full copy at, or prior to, closing on your home.  If you need a copy click here.  The Governing Documents are recorded instruments so they are also available through the County in which your Association is located. 

Q. What is a deed restriction and why do I have to comply? 
A. It is part of the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions that you agreed to when you bought your home. Through this document, you agreed to certain standards of maintenance, upkeep and behavior in order to make the community as attractive as possible for yourself and your neighbors, and to maintain or enhance your property values. When you purchase a home in a deed-restricted community you automatically agree to comply with the restrictions then in place or that are properly established. 

Q. Why do I have to get the Association's permission for home improvement? 
A. This process ensures that your intended improvement meets with your community's standards as set forth in the Governing Documents and avoids the problems that arise from the construction of improvements and the use of colors or styles that conflict with others in your neighborhood. 

Q. What is the "common area"? 
A. It is the land owned by the Association for the use and enjoyment of the members and their invited guests.  This includes the nature trails, islands, and entrances.